What is S-map?
S-map is a digital soil map for Aotearoa New Zealand. S-map’s goal is to provide precise and accurate soil information to support sustainable management of our soil resource. S-map displays basic soil property data like depth, stoniness, and clay content, as well as more complex data like water holding capacity and nitrogen leaching risk. S-map is generated by expert soil surveyors, assisted by historical soil mapping and innovative new data sources.
What is S-map online?
Using S-map online you can:
- Explore interactive soil maps of Aotearoa New Zealand.
- Learn about the soil in your area
- Browse, view and download a variety of soil fact sheets including one for Māori
- Identify and compare soil siblings - the most detailed level of soil classification
- Create custom soil maps for printing