What is S-map?
S-map is a digital soil spatial information system for New Zealand. S-Map data includes fundamental soil property data (e.g. depth, stoniness, clay and sand content) created from field observations and expert knowledge, as well as derived soil data based on models (e.g. available water (mm), macroporosity, N leaching risk). S-map integrates existing soil reports and digital information with new soil survey mapping where existing data are of low quality. Our goal is to provide comprehensive, quantitative soil information to support sustainable development and scientific modelling.
What is S-map online?
Using S-map online you can:
- Explore interactive soil maps
- Learn about the soil in your area
- Identify a soil sibling
- View detailed information about a soil
- Create custom PDF soil maps for printing
- Download soil fact sheets for specific locations